+30 699 708 0239

+30 694 609 6896

Grand Master’s Palace

Grand-Master-Palace-rhodes-old-town-apartments

At the end of one the most scenic Medieval streets in the world, the Street of the Knights, lies the magnificent Grand Master’s Palace of the Knights of St. John. It was built during the 14th century under the rule of Grand Master H. de Villeneuve (1319 – 1346) on the site of a 7th century Byzantine fortress. This imposing building was used as the residence of the Grand Master but functioned also as the main administrative seat of the Order and the social cultural center of the island. The most important halls were located on the first floor, like the Great Council Chamber and the dining room, as well as the private quarters of the Grand Master, which were commonly known as Margaritae. The Palace played an important role in the medieval fortification of the northwestern part of the walled city of Rhodos.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *